AirDrop lets you quickly and easily transfer files between iPhones, iPads, and Macs.
Using Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy to broadcast, discover, and negotiate connections, and point-to-point Wi-Fi to transfer information AirDrop is fast, power-efficient, and secure. When you're using it between iPhones and iPads, you can AirDrop photos, videos, contacts, Passbook passes, Voice Memos, Map location, and any and everything else that appears on a Share sheet.
How to AirDrop files from your iPhone or iPad
You can AirDrop files from any iPhone or iPad app that includes the built-in Share sheet, and you can share with anyone, and any of their devices, that show up in the Share sheet.
- Open the app that you want to share something from (e.g. Photos).
Select the item you want to share.
- Tap the share button (looks like a box with an arrow pointing up, or sometimes just the word "Share").
Tap the intended recipient's avatar when it appears in the AirDrop row.
How to troubleshoot AirDrop on iPhone and iPhone
If contacts don't show up in the AirDrop interface, try these solutions, in order:
- Toggle Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi off and back on, or toggle Airplane Mode on and off to reset the connections.
- Turn off Instant Hotspot to free up the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections.
- Temporarily switch to Everyone to remove any chance of contact mismatch.